Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Running Completes Me.

Collective Soul - RUN


Are these times contagious
Ive never been this bored before
Is this the prize Ive waited for
Now with the hours passing
Theres nothing left here to insure
I long to find a messenger

Have I got a long way to run
Have I got a long way to run
Yeah, I run

Is there a cure among us
From this processed sanity
I weaken with each voice that sings
Now, in this world of purchase
Im going to buy back memories
To awaken some old qualities

A very wise man once said:
We are the messengers--fueled by the message we carry. When the message is of Truth, Beauty and love

No big surprise there.













I have been thinking a great deal about why I run. What pushes me out the door every single day to put one foot in front of the other and run 5 miles? It is so very hard to put into words but I really want to try.

Running is such an integral part of my life. A part of my every day routine. I simply don't feel right if I don't run. And by right, I mean I don't feel complete. There are things each of us do daily, and for me running is one of the daily things that I do. Is it a need? Perhaps? But, it is also a want.

I won't go into the obvious health reasons for running because we all know that already. Right? Not only physical but emotionally. The serotonin levels increase and anxiety and depression lessen. It's not rocket science. It's proven. Studies have been done. And I don't know about you runners, but after a particularly hard run, I am spent, sweaty, breathing hard, cursing why the fuck do I do this but I thank my lucky stars that I do indeed "run". It's a gift to me. And I take it.

I take from running what I give to running. Let me explain. I give it my all every day. I give as much as I can, and even when I feel I cannot, I still go out there. I give and I give. But, running has given back to me so so much more.

I feel incredible. I feel strong both physically and emotionally. I am no Kara Goucher nor will I ever be, but I am my own person who enjoys the sport of running. It gives me tremendous confidence. I am a much better person as a runner. I think I am very motivating and supportive to my running peers. I love to learn and I love to help out when I can.

I have lost weight because of running. Sure, I need to lose more weight but I am trying. I am trying every day to eat healthier even if I screw up and have a cupcake now and again. I don't mind because I enjoy those cupcakes.

I have met the most incredible friends through running. Long lasting friends. My running buddies up on my boardwalk are 20 year friendships. And every day that I run with them is like the first day. We never run out of things to talk about. We laugh, we cry and most importantly, we run.

My best running buddy is a man named Ted. . I am not that certain I want to say too much, this man is, besides my coach and inspiration, he is my extremely amazing friend. He is there for me 24/7. Always. NO.MATTER.WHAT. Besides, my family I don't think I can say that about too many people in my life. He is greatness personified. And I will leave it at that.

There are others. Many many other peeps. Bloggers, some of whom I've met and this place Daily Mile. . Facebook for runners/bikers/swimmers. Insanely incredible people. Like too good to be true people.

I do realize that at times, I seem obsessed with running. And perhaps, I am. Addicted may be a better word. But, you know what, if I have to be addicted to anything, I choose running. It makes me healthy. It makes me who I am. I don't define myself as a runner. But I do run. It is my passion. My lifetime passion.

The running community are a pretty awesome group. Honestly, I have never met a runner I did not like. And that is the truth. After the Brooklyn Half Marathon, a group of us went out for some food, my sister came along and she told me afterwards "WOW, what cool people you all are". Now, my awesome sister is doing the C25K running program. . When, she told me she was doing this, my heart leapt with joy. When she told me she ran for 90 seconds straight I had the biggest grin on my face. I must have looked like an even bigger dork than I already am. No worries, I didn't care. Just being able to share my passion with others, fills me with glee. Sister and I are running a 5K race on labor day weekend. We are doing it together and we will cross that finish line hand in hand.

When I broke my toe in January I was devastated but I knew I would be running again. When I got hit by a car way back in 1995 and shattered my ankle, oh I knew I would be running again. Running can be taken away from me, but I always get it back. Somehow, I just reach for it and it comes back to me. I may be much slower than I was, but I get the job done. I am not a quitter. If I start a race, I do not DNF unless I am injured and simply have to stop or else.

I have goals for the future. More races to be run. More PR's to be set. It will happen. If there is one thing I am positive about, it is running. It is sheer perfection.












Yeah, I run. Won't you join me?
blog comments powered by Disqus