Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Do You Know Your Enemy?

Know Your Enemy

Green Day - Know Your Enemy
Do you know the enemy?
Do you know your enemy?
Well, gotta know the enemy

Violence is an enemy
Against the enemy
Violence is an energy

Bringing on the fury
The choir infantry
Revolt against the honor to obey

Overthrow the effigy
The vast majority
Burning down the foreman of control

Silence is the enemy
Against your urgency
So rally up the demons of your soul

The insurgency will rise
When the bloods been sacrificed
Don't be blinded by the lies
In your eyes

Violence is an energy
From here to eternity
Violence is an energy
Silence is the enemy
So gimme gimme revolution

Do you know the enemy?
Do you know your enemy?
Well, gotta know the enemy

Overthrow the effigy
The vast majority
Burning down the foreman of control

Silence is the enemy
Against your urgency
So rally up the demons of your soul















I know my enemy and my enemy is ME!! Up there - that photo is the enemy after my 5 mile run today. I will not run again until Saturday. The day of the NYRR Half Marathon Grand Prix Brooklyn or for those in the know - The fucking Brooklyn Half Marathon that raw cool has been talking about for the last gagillion years!! Yeah that one!

I have done all I can to prepare but I do not feel at all prepared. I ran my heart out even when it hurt to do so. I felt tired and annoyed at myself more than ever. My body kept rebelling against me. Over and over again. I would have 1 good pain free day of pure bliss only to run the next day with pain in places I never knew existed.

I had xray after xray and a scary MRI that turned me into an alien for a few days.

But, though it all I ran. And iced! And stretched. Well just a little but it will become more a part of my running routine. I also complained and whined and cried and cursed to anybody who would listen. Mostly, I was complaining and whining and crying and cursing to the enemy that was ME!!

I am very hard on myself. I don't accept what I can do, but think of what I used to be able to do and yearn for that again. It ain't gonna happen. I am older thought not wiser. My body simply cannot do what it once did. Nor should I except it to.

The other day I took out all my old racing bibs and lovingly caressed them and I almost had an orgasm remembering.

Once upon a time way back in 1994 raw cool ran a half marathon in 1.43.44. What that means in laymen terms is:
Raw cool ran 13.1 miles in 7.55 min/mile!

Once upon a time way back in 0000 raw cool ran a 5 mile race in 36.22 What that means in laymen terms is:
Raw cool ran 5 miles in 7.16 min/mile!

Once upon a time way back in 0000 raw cool ran a 10K race in 45.13. What that means in laymen terms is:
Raw cool ran 6.2 miles in 7.17 min/mile!

Once upon a time way back in 0000 raw cool ran a 5K in 21.31. What that means in laymen terms is:
Raw cool ran 3.1 miles in 6.56 min/mile! WAIT WHAT???? Even I can't believe that one!

Did you all reach orgasm reading that?? YES? Then my job is done!

I am feeling many emotions right now. But the #1 emotion that is creeping through is

I AM THANKFUL AND I AM GRATEFUL!!

For what? You figure it out!!

My goal for the race is twofold. Of course #1 is to finish the thing. My #2 goal is to finish with a respectable time. Here's the thing: What is a respectable time? For me or for anyone trying to run a half marathon? It's within reach and just a bit faster. I won't mention the time that I want to cross the finish line in. You know, JINX and all.

It will be special to me no matter what. I have also decided that even if I do get picked for the NYC marathon, I will not run it this year. I will defer it until next year. 2010.

Since I broke my toe in January I have learned so much about stuff. SO FUCKING MUCH.

So, yes my enemy is ME! I have to work on that. Why have an enemy at all? I just want to enjoy running for the sheer bliss it gives to me. For the sheer love of the run. I have a lot to learn even though I am not a new runner. But, each run is new and special and wonderful. So each run makes me a new runner. A better runner. A smarter runner.

Wish me luck folks. You know that running easy is an oxymoron right?? BRING.IT.ON.BITCH!!!

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

William James, philosopher


"Tough times don't last but tough people do." - I am tough. So tough!

SHUT.IT.DOWN.MICHELLE
blog comments powered by Disqus