Friday, May 29, 2009

I Win - Sam Please Pick A Winner!



It's not like I win something every day. In fact, I NEVER win. So, I think this is an amazing omen. Today, I won. What?

I won a 1/2 bag of chia seeds from my beautiful friend Debs at debbie does raw. How fucking cool is that??














I am pretty darn excited because chia seeds are extremely healthy. chia seeds direct

But here is what Debs has on her blog:
Chia seeds have been a staple food source for the American Native people for centuries (long before the Chia Pet hit the market). Aztec warriors would eat chia during hunting trips, and the Indians of the Southwest would eat only chia seed mixed with water as they ran from the Colorado River to the Pacific Ocean to trade products.

The Richest Source of Omega-3

Chia seeds and oil naturally contain more than 60% Omega-3 fatty acid, this is the highest percentage of Omega-3 of any commercially available source. The body converts Omega-3 from chia into EPA and DHA. Chia has no odor, doesn’t go rancid, easy to store, easy to use, has very little flavor/taste and is not contaminated with pesticides, chemicals or heavy metals.

Got Protein? Chia Does!
High in Protein Chia seed is a complete source of dietary protein, providing all the essential amino acids. Compared to other seeds and grains, chia seed provides the highest source of protein, between 19 to 23 percent protein by weight. One of the unique qualities of the chia seed is its ability to absorb more than nine times its volume in water or other liquid. This ability can prolong hydration and retain electrolytes in body fluids, especially during exertion or exercise. Normal fluid retention ensures electrolyte dispersion across cell membranes, maintains fluid balances, and aids normal cellular function.

Get Things MOVING with Chia!
Source of Fiber

Chia seed produces a thick mucilage in water, absorbing up to 30 times its weight in water. This soluble fiber cleans the intestines by binging and transporting debris from the intestinal walls so that it can be eliminated efficiently and regularly. A daily dose of chia seed provides an excellent fiber source and most people notice a different in less than a week.

Energy/Antioxidants and No Gluten

Chia contains the usual Vitamin C, ferulates and Vitamin E but the real secret is the Cinnamic acids that guard the omega-3 oils from oxidation. This is why chia is a stable product for years! With no gluten, virtually no sodium, nor reported allergic reactions, grown without pesticides or toxicants. Chia has a high energy to weight ratio (more than wheat, corn, rice or oats) that makes it a favorite choice of long distance runners and other athletics .

Crazy ass healthy. There are tons of cool recipes too. When I decide what I am going to do with my chia seeds, I will post some linky love.

Thank you Debs and Sam for picking me. I appreciate it and love you guys.

But, what I think is even more chia cool is that I won something special 1 day before a special day. If that is not good luck karma than nothing is. RIGHT??

I won. I will win. I am a winner no matter what. This is how I am approaching life and life's race. It is the only way. Well, it's my way.

So, lets get it going. I will make the Brooklyn Half Marathon my bitch. My thing. Mr. Ted is running with me. Mr. Ted is Mr. Awesome as far as I am concerned. I also have Mr. Chris and Ms Christie. They are my running peeps. No other words there.

My sista Sue will be there too. To see me finish what I started. I love you sista!!

I have my outfit picked out mostly - my socks and kicks too.













I am going with my Brooks Defyance - Can you guess why?
I am spending the rest of today hydrating - eating well and visualizing myself crossing the finish line. With a smile on my face and a skip in my step.

I would love to ask please - my running mentor/friend/doctor just had her second grandchild born. A BOY! He is a bit jaundice so please some good thoughts out to him. COOL!!! He is 3 days old today!

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up...
A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts.
Steve Prefontaine

blog comments powered by Disqus