Thursday, August 21, 2008

Good Food...Music...Books...Oh My!!!

It's an absolute cornucopia, the Union Square Green Market! I don't think i can describe it any other way. The colors...just imagine the most brightest, unusual and exceptionally beautiful colors and multiply that by whatever it takes to make you realize just how elaborate the colors of food can be. You spend time there and think that time has stood still, just for a moment and just for you. The crowds are everywhere, yet there is a stillness in the air. The produce calls out to you and makes you want to take it all in. This is NYC remember, a place where you breathe in more car fumes and are afraid to cross the street for fear of a cabbie running you down. Yet right here, at Union Square is a small oasis of life! Farmers selling their stuff, fresh right from the garden. They even let you taste stuff before you buy it. I am a city girl, no doubt about it but once or twice a week i look forward to spending time at the green market.



These are the smallest eggplants i have ever seen! Upon seeing them, i knew i had to buy some. Being that i am not 100% raw i intend to saute these babies up in fresh garlic and some macadamia nut oil. Sublime at best!!!













This time of year seems to be teeming with tomatoes!! I snatched these suckers up real quick because they were going fast! I do not have a clue exactly what kind of tomatoes these are but lets just say you can put a little sea salt on them and gulp them down one at a time. They are sweet, juicy and just amazingly colorful. I love them!!














These strawberries were certainly calling to me. I have not had a decent batch of strawberries all summer long, until now! My goodness, they are small, very small but they are bursting with goodness. You can really just look at them to see just how sweet they are. They are very red and beautiful.

The green market also had an over abundance of peaches, plums and nectarines. All excellent. I prefer peaches over everything else so i stocked up. They are almost gone. You need a large napkin, when eating these peaches to catch the sweet nectar oozing out of them. Ah, greatness comes in all shapes and sizes!!

There were other purchases, string beans, corn, some sort of melon that i've yet to try. My eyes couldn't really take it all in, so i stopped and met up with a good friend for lunch at The Coffee Shop, 29 Union Square West.

Wonderfully busy, but enthusiastic atmosphere. This place is for people watching, no doubt! The food, well its OK, i've had better, much better actually but being that i have not been there in quite a while nor has my friend we decided to wait the 15 minutes for a nice outdoor table.


The Stills! I first got turned on to them back in 2004 after hearing the wonderfully hypnotic “Still in Love Song” from the highly-praised “Logic Will Break Your Heart” debut. Their new song “Being Here” gets back to basics with a more accessible approach: nothing fancy, just a mid-tempo ditty with a sweet sentiment propelled by smooth-as-a-baby-bottom vocals and a super catchy chorus. After two spins, I guarantee you’ll be crooning aloud “Being here, oh ho oh ho, being here!” over and over and over. I’m doing it right now. Check out The Stills . They are pretty freakin cool!!

Now on to some reading material that i deem worthy of a look see!

Kris Carr is my friend. She is indeed a wonderful woman living a life of truth, light and love. She is sending out her message far and wide and sure knows how to work a crowd...She is very funny and so full of life. I am sure you are all aware of her first wonderful book Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips Good reading, humorous and its easy to get lost in the sheer joy you feel knowing Kris had a good time writing it.


So, what did she go ahead and do? She wrote another book!! This one, i'm told is greatness once again. I remember her writing it a few months back and she was so gung ho about meeting her deadlines, she hardly had time to blog and come to her own forum. How's that for dedication folks?? You can purchase her book Crazy Sexy Survivor Rebellion at Amazon!!

Then, the second book i am interested in reading is a book by a man named Dean Karnazes. To me, Dean is a hero and a wonderful man!! Read a little bit about him here UltraMarathon Man and make sure to view that video on the bottom of the page! Mr. Dean ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 different states. Is this incredible or what? I get goose bumps just thinking about this incredible feat of pure magic.



So, this book 50/50 is definitely on my fall reading list! Being a very dedicated runner, i feel this book will inspire me to pick my running up another notch or two. Besides my running streak of 35-40 days, i am planning to participate in a few different races this year. First up is Race for the cure. Pretty self explanatory i suppose. I've done this one before. It's a 5K, easily doable for me!!

Second up is this Cow Harbor 10K. I'm a bit worried about this race because i am not quite at the 10K mark just yet. Very close though. Today i ran 6.14 miles which basically means i needed to run the length of a football field to have run a 10K. I was so very close. But see thats the remarkable thing about running. There is always tomorrow to do more. I am having the time of my life, running. There is nothing that even comes close to the way that running makes me feel.

So, these are just some of the things i'm interested in and really wanted to share. If i can inspire just one person to put on some running shoes and get on out there, then my job is done. Remember, fall is coming and to me, fall is THE BEST running weather ever!!!!

I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he or she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
Maya Angelou



"Fear less, hope more;
Whine less, breathe more;
Talk less, say more;
Hate less, love more;
And all good things are yours." Swedish proverb
blog comments powered by Disqus