Thursday, August 28, 2008

The power of our example NOT example of our power


















This time of the year is special. The last two weeks going into labor day is an event i really love to follow! The United States Tennis Open This year they are celebrating the 40th anniversary of this spectacle! I say spectacle because the US Open grew from an exclusive entertainment event for high society to a $17 million prize money championship (about $1.4 million for each of the winners of the singles tournaments) for over 600 male and female professional players. Can you imagine...1.4 million for 2 weeks work!! I can't! None of us can. But, thats OK! This is athleticism at its best. Look at that young man! He is 22 years old and a fine specimen of manhood. He is an athlete and takes his sport very seriously. That is the only way!!

I attend this event yearly! With my sister and friends. I have a friend who works the Nike booth and she always finds good buys for us being that we are Nike fans. Mostly, people want to wear what Rafael Nadal wears. His exact outfit they say. It sells out fast.

Lot's of celebrities attend this event. It's a place to see and be seen. It's fun that way. You never know who you may bump into. The food choices are many, but being that it is very expensive, i bring my own. They get strict though, not allowing even backpacks in anymore! These little annoyances are just what you have to deal with if you want to witness amazing tennis. I want to witness amazing tennis. I want to witness Rafael Nadal picking his butt after each serve! I'm not quite sure why he does that. Shorts too tight perhaps?

















Anybody watching the DNC?? Me? Every single night! I feel drawn to it somehow. Not the politics of it all but the very interesting unpolitical way its all unfolding. First night: Ted Kennedy, brought tears to my eyes. This man is tough.

All I saw was Michelle Obama's speech, but that was enough.

She's a rock star.

Can I vote for her?

Biden really stepped up. Good speech, well spoken!

By contrast, I thought Bill Clinton was just okay. Of course, it's all relative - Clinton can blow the roof off; tonight he was merely good.

But too many snoozers tonight. And why do they need such long breaks between speakers? Who's in charge of this thing?

I quite liked Biden's son's intro. He should have been more specific when referring to the time Biden called Milosevic a war criminal to his face. What would he say to Bush, I wonder?

Lots of good stuff and tonight, well tonight is Obama's speech. Cannot and won't miss it! Believe me folks, i am far from an expert on all things political but this has drawn me in. I find myself deep in discussion with my running buddies. It makes for an amazingly fast run. The more we argue, the faster we run. It just works out that way. Thats the beauty of politics. Really never a right or wrong. I love this stuff.

I guess you can tell by the photo i choose who i may be voting for. We need new blood. We need young blood. Hell, we just need blood, flowing. We certainly aren't getting that now, are we?? It's scary to think of what will happen if the other guy gets in! Real scary!














Eckhart is my homeboy!

My life is taking shape! i've got ideas in the works. It has to do with my passion for writing and running. No, i will not be taking my Mac Book on my runs to write a blog post at the same time. That is not possible....yet. I just have some really cool ideas about what i want to do and how to make it happen is all. Stupid stuff, really but the only way to make something happen, is to put it out there and pursue it with all you have and more.

Total Time: 00:55:05
Distance: 5.25 mi
Elevation Gain/Loss: 1,479 ft / 1,508 ft
Calories: 635 C

I am currently finishing up my 35 day running streak. Today was day 32. On day 35 i will run 8 miles. Then its done. It will be a very anticlimactic finish to what i think was an incredibly gutsy move on my part. I took something trivial or commonplace in the running world and made it my own. Lets face it, 35 days is really nothing. I am not bragging about it nor will i talk about it once it's done. It's just something i had to do. Then i move on.


CAKE - The Distance
Reluctantly crouched at the starting line
Engines pumping and thumping in time
The green light flashes, the flags go up,
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup
They deftly maneuv
Fuel burning fast on an empty tank
Reckless and wild they pour through the turns
Their prowess is potent and secretly stern
They speed through the finish, the flags go down,
The fans get up and they get out of town
The arena is empty except for one man
Still driving and striving as fast as he can

You know what, i'm going the distance!!!!

"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland.
blog comments powered by Disqus