Friday, August 28, 2009

We're Going To Be Friends


fall is here, hear the yell
back to school, ring the bell
brand new shoes, walking blues
climb the fence, book and pens
i can tell that we are gonna be friends

walk with me, suzy lee
through the park, by the tree
we will rest upon the ground
and look at all the bugs we've found
then safely walk to school
without a sound

well here we are, no one else
we walked to school all by ourselves
there's dirt on our uniforms
from chasing all the ants and worms
we clean up and now it's time to learn


numbers, letters, learn to spell
nouns, and books, and show and tell
at playtime we will throw the ball
back to class, through the hall
teacher marks our height against the wall

and we don't notice any time pass
we don't notice anything
we sit side by side in every class
teacher thinks that i sound funny
but she likes the way you sing

tonight i'll dream while i'm in bed
when sill thoughts go through my head
about the bugs and alphabet
and when i wake tomorrow i'll bet
that you and i will walk together again
cause i can tell that we
are going to be friends

It's fitting isn't it? Labor day is almost here and that marks the unofficial end of summer and the beginning of school and reuniting with old and dear friends. I, myself am not starting school but I look upon this time of year as a sort of new beginning. A purging if you will of all the shit I obtained during the summer.

I'm talking all the running shit - all the frustrating stuff I bring upon myself. I hold it all in and build walls that can really make me nuts. Picture running a marathon and hitting the proverbial wall at mile 20. You know what you have to do to get the job done, but that darn wall is holding you back. So, what do you do? Push on. Say fuck you wall and knock that sucka down.

Anyway, I really love this tune. Here is my take on it.

Two buddies going through school and remaining tight friends and being there for each other. Perhaps, that is a simplified version of what Jack White meant, I really don't know. "I can't believe the power that's expressed in these words. It completely captures the innocence of childhood, something I wish I still had. But, I don't.

I become melancholy and so very pensive a lot. I think so deeply about things. Even running, I'm all like dude run faster or you suck. Then I analyze the numbers. Then I dissect the run into smaller pieces and wonder where I went wrong. Then i eat a cupcake.

Cupcakes really heal me. I eat it and taste it and enjoy it and then its gone. But somehow I feel better. Remember when you were a kid and you came home from school all excited for your afternoon snack? Well, I remember that vividly and when I eat a cupcake it takes me back there. Which is why I really dig this song.

It brings me back there.













Maybe to here? Check out that outfit and hair. I think you could tell who the boss was in that relationship huh? By the way, we are not friends anymore. Drifted away. I hate that. I suppose I could look for him on facebook, but I think I rather remember.













I need to start spinning counter-clockwise. Later.

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandh

blog comments powered by Disqus