Saturday, August 9, 2008

Would you like to dance with me???


I'm going to guess that most of you saw this video already! But i highly suggest you check it out again. This could easily be me. Fuck, it is me, just a guy! I'm not embarrassed to admit that i do this at home, privately! In my living room. I do. What i am really embarrassed to admit though is i literally have no rhythm nor am i able to follow the music while dancing. In other words, i look like a total fool.

Guess what? I don't care!

From Widpedia:

Dance (from French danser, perhaps from Frankish) is an art form that generally refers to movement of the body, usually rhythmic and to music, used as a form of expression, social interaction or presented in a spiritual or performance setting. Dance is also used to describe methods of non-verbal communication (see body language) between humans or animals (bee dance, patterns of behaviour such as a mating dance), motion in inanimate objects (the leaves danced in the wind), and certain musical forms or genres. In sports, gymnastics, figure skating and synchronized swimming are dance disciplines while martial arts kata are often compared to dances.

Oh my check this out:
It has long been known that successfully foraging Western honey bees perform a dance on their return to the hive, known as waggle dance, indicating that food is further away, while the round dance is a short version of the waggle dance, indicating that food is nearby. The laden forager dances on the comb in a circular pattern, occasionally crossing the circle in a zig-zag or waggle pattern.

Even the bees dance!! How incredible is that. Think about it. They literally communicate with other bees through dancing.


The evolution of dance!!!
Who doesn't remember John Travolta dancing in Saturday Night Fever? Well ok if your 20 years old you may not remember, but go rent it. Then there's Michael Jackson doing the moon walk. Classic. Chicken dance. Not so classic. But, you get my point. Dancing has been around for a very long time. Hey do any of you know what krumping is?? I do!
Krumping is an urban street dance-form that began in South Central Los Angeles. It is characterized by free, expressive, and highly energetic moves involving the arms and chest, and has become a major part of hip hop dance culture alongside other forms, such as breaking, popping, locking, and freestyling. Krump is a relatively new dance-form. Like other styles of dance, Krump is seen by many as a faith-based art-form. Accordingly, many of its pioneers spell Krump as an acronym (K.R.U.M.P.), which stands for Kingdom Radically Uplifted Mighty Praise.

I'm pretty sure my form of dancing can be considered as some form of K.R.U.M.P.! I think!!!

You know i used to be really self conscious and awkward or embarrassed in the presence of others. I would obsess over my short-commings. I'd be all like damn i can't dance! Damn, i can't sing. Damn, i shouldn't be saying damn. Damn it. Then i thought to myself...who gives a crap whether or not you can dance, sing or say damn. I can do other things. I can run!! I can.

So, i started running. Then i started singing in the shower. Then i started dancing in my living room, privately while saying damn. So, now i can run, dance, sing and say damn pretty much simultaneously.

I've gotten many comments on my previous blog post about getting a life. Or having a life. All, and i mean all the comments were positive, encouraging and uplifting to me. It's quite a revelation to realize how people see you. I am so glad that you all see me in a positive light. A person who has a life!! Who is living!! This makes me very happy and i thank you all!!


I know this video is called "Where the hell is Matt, but i kind of want to rename this "Where the hell is Michelle" I'll tell you! I'm right here where i belong! Amongst friends and loved ones. Amongst people who care.

I say we should all get up and dance a little bit. Privately or amongst friends. Even amongst strangers! If this last video is any indication of the power that dance has amongst people, strangers and foreigners alike, i say there should be a lot more dancing in the world.

Just do it!! Hey, its good exercise too!

"We dance for laughter, we dance for tears, we dance for madness, we dance for fears, we dance for hopes, we dance for screams, we are the dancers, we create the dreams."

"A child sings before it speaks, dances almost before it walks. Music is in our hearts from the beginning." ~Pamela Brown

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels." ~anonymous

I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Dancing is like dreaming with your feet! ~Constanze

Nobody puts Baby in a corner. Dirty Dancing!!!


"We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance."
~Japanese Proverb


Lisa: Dad, don't you think you're overreacting?
Homer: Don't you think you're *under*reacting?
Lisa: This conversation is over.
Homer: This conversation is *under*.
Lisa: Goodbye.
Homer: *bad*bye


blog comments powered by Disqus