Monday, September 22, 2008

Are you ready for some.....COFFEE and MUFFINS???


Frank Sinatra - The Coffee Song
















I realize i may receive some flack for this, but i must express the virtues of two amazing neighborhood fixtures i so happily discovered today. Gorilla Coffee This is THE joint for coffee in Brooklyn! I'm not a local, meaning this is not in my "hood" but anytime I am in the vicinity i will be a patron there.

They of course roast their own, but the quality of the roast is remarkable. This ain't no weak shit They, from what I've seen/tasted, do a very dark roast which brings a lot more of the bolder essences of the coffee out to the forefront! Truly a coffee for those that are connesiours of the bean. Now, i am far from a connoisseur of the bean, but lets just say today i had the best latte ever!

It made me chuckle a little to myself when I walked in there and saw people in rows, facing the same direction, illuminated by their laptop screens. I got an instant feel like i'm on the starship enterprise, in the midst of a cult, but more likely it's because I haven't had any coffee yet...

I truly think this is as close as i've come to being legally high in a very long time. What a buzz i got off the latte. It was instantaneous, it hit me fast and hard and i loved every second of it. I whipped out my Mac and was one of the illuminated. I occupied a seat facing a beautiful looking boy!

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about how others are so quick to label a place as a Yuppie-Hipster joint simply because it has an alternative vibe. It makes people sound very pretentious, as though they're something above-and-beyond what they encounter. Please, people, get over the "Hipster" phenomenon and do a little research on the original meaning of the word, which goes back many decades. If you want mainstream and are too insecure as to label everything as "Hipster" then stick with mediocre Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.

I may still be a bit high so forgive my ranting. I need to move on now.
















Blue Sky Bakery my new muffin addiction. Today, i had the pleasure of eating a pumpkin apple walnut muffin, still warm inside (and very moist!) and nicely crunchy on the outside. I also purchased a very warm wild blueberry muffin for later.

Be warned that if you are planning to make your first trip to Blue Sky Bakery while hustling to the subway in the morning, you might want to add some extra time to your commute and turn that hustle into a leisurely breakfast. The brightly lit cheerful interior of Blue Sky is as welcoming as the scent of their fresh muffins, which combine a series of unlikely ingredients into a fusion of sweet and savory flavors that remains palatable well beyond the muffin top. While muffins are often marked by an unfortunate discrepancy between the quality of the top and base, the muffins at Blue Sky are uniform in their crisp exterior and sufficiently but not excessively moist interior.

The muffins are big enough to satisfy, but not overwhelmingly huge--they're light and fluffy and bursting with fresh fruit. If you go to Park Slope, Brooklyn you would seek out the Blue Sky Bakery as if it were the Holy Grail. The anticipation is everything. Will today be an audacious day (mango peach) or a classic (wild blueberry)? Will you rejoice or weep when you see banana chocolate chip? This isn't just breakfast, it's an adventure where the stakes are low. Even the least yummy Blue Sky Muffin (probably a bran) is still excellent by most standards. The graph here only goes from delicious to sublime.

Let's talk brunch...briefly. There are two places on my list. Miriam's and Clinton Street Baking Company. I have not had the pleasure of eating in either place, but i already know what i will be ordering. How is that for efficiency? I am just that kind of gal.

“Coffee and love are best when they are hot”
German Proverb

Just around the corner,
There's a rainbow in the sky.
So let's have another cup o' coffee,
And let's have another piece o' pie.
- Irving Berlin, 1932

blog comments powered by Disqus