Saturday, December 20, 2008

"I Have Shpilkes In My Genecktigazoink."


Erran Baron Cohen - The Dreidel Song

It's Hanukkah tomorrow night!!! Time for some dreidel playing and potato pancake eating!!! Oh yeah baby!!





















I am a bit verklempt and for those of you who do not know what that means, i am basically choked with emotions!!! Here's why:
My family has gotten together for every single first night of Hanukkah for as long as i can remember. We always make potato pancakes complete with apple sauce and sour cream. Then we eat, hang out, exchange gifts and just have fun.

So, its snowing. Yeah so, you may ask. My mom has forbidden my sister to come to our home. She literally yelled at her and saId DO NOT COME HERE!!! We do not want you here!!! (notice how she used the word we) Hmmm, well cause the weather is bad and slippery and icy and stuff. So, my sister is not coming. This is why i feel verklempt. Just kinda sad.

So, not to weigh down this post i just wanted to wish everybody a happy first night of the festival of lights.

I'd like to include some of my favorite yiddish words and their meaning....you know just for fun!!! K?

1) Alta Kocker: literally, an old shit; or as we say in English, an old fart. (sometimes called, simply, AK)
2) Baleboosteh: (bal-a-boo-stah) an organized, efficient, praise-worthy homemaker. Also the boss-lady or boss's wife; a bossy woman.
3) Bissel: (bis-sel) A little. "Give me a bissel lox on my bagel, would you, darling?" A biselleh is even less.
4) Bubbellah: (the "u" is pronounced like the "oo" in book) an affectionate way of refering to someone, much like "darling" or "sweetheart." Bubbies call their grandchildren "bubbellah." Close friends and long-time business partners might call each other "bubbellah," or boubbie, for short.
5) Bupkis: (bup-kiss) literally, beans. Colloquially, nothing. "You're gonna sue me?! You know what you'll get!!?? Bupkis!"
6) Chazzer: (khaz-zeh) a pig or anyone who behaves like one, either in their eating, financial or personal grooming habits.
7) Draycup: literally, a turned around head. ("dray" means "turn" as in "draydl," a spinning top used at Hanukkah) Someone who's perpetually confused.
8) Fardrai zich deyn kopf!: literally, "go turn your own head around." In other words, "Leave me alone and go make yourself crazy!"
9) Gay kocken offen yom: literally, go shit in the ocean. Get lost; hit the road; beat it; piss off.
10) Shmeckel: a little penis, as on a young boy. (In baby talk, often "mekki.")
11) Shpilkes: (shpill-kiss) literally, pins. Ants in the pants, pins and needles, impatience. That feeling you have when you can't sit still from anticipation and/or anxiety. As Mike Myer's Linda Richman character would say, when she gets all worked up, "I have shpilkes in my genecktigazoink."


So, i want to just say sholem-bayes to you all!!! Oh and ikh hob dikh lib!!!!

Some funnies:

“Why do Jewish men die before their wives? They want to.”
Henny Youngman

“I'm Jewish. I don't work out. If God had wanted us to bend over, He would have put diamonds on the floor.”
Joan Rivers








blog comments powered by Disqus