Monday, June 15, 2009

Be Patient Grasshopper...


















He that can have patience, can have what he will. - Benjamin Franklin

Admittedly, I am not a very patient person. In fact, I possess zero amount of patience. I don't like to wait. For anything. I want it and I want it now. I see nothing wrong with that. Is there?

It manifests itself most in my running. Since January 21st when I broke my toe, my running has suffered. And because my running has suffered, I in turn have suffered. I have been told I am too obsessed. But, how can I be anything else? If something is important to you and you want to excel at it shouldn't it be an obsession of sorts?

Ok, I am not saying I think, eat and talk about it 24/7 but I am saying when I am running or thinking about running I want it to be quality time. I would rather run a really fast 5K then a slower 5 miles IF that day I am doing speed work. I want it organized in my head so that each day I know what it is I must accomplish and just get the job done.

I am obviously not the runner I once was nor will I ever be and that is fine. Now, I want to be the best runner I can be today at this very moment.

But, I have trouble waiting. Why is it so hard and why do I have to work for it when others have it come easy? I run a race and instead of finishing in the time I wanted to, I finish 10 minutes later. That pisses me off and fucks with my head. Then I get all down on myself and wonder why I even bother. It's a never ending cycle. I know this. Because, while I do indeed feel angry with myself, I am out there the very next day running. And running.

Be Patient Grasshopper.
Patience serves as protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold. For if you put on more clothes as the cold increases, it will have no power to hurt you. So in like manner you must grow in patience when you meet with great wrongs, and they will then be powerless to vex your mind. - Leonardo da Vinci

Lord, grant me patience, and do it NOW!

Patience is the ability to wait Or, as the ancient philosopher Epictetus is reported to have said nearly 2,000 years ago, "Nothing great is created suddenly, any more than a bunch of grapes or a fig. If you tell me that you desire a fig. I answer you that there must be time. Let it first blossom, then bear fruit, then ripen." It takes time to do worthwhile things, so those who lack the patience to persist will fail to accomplish much. Do we want to develop as much of our potential as possible? If so, we’ll have to learn how to be patient.

Being patient doesn’t mean sitting around waiting for things to happen. Instead, it means to work as hard and as long as necessary, without giving up, until we reach our destination. The ancient Egyptians didn’t sit around waiting. They made plans, preparations, and worked on their project until the pyramids were completed. The pyramids, then, are monuments to patience. They are a reminder that if we persist in our personal projects while enduring the necessary wait, we will finally succeed.

When we abandon patience, we abandon self-discipline. A world without either is a world without Mozart, Thomas Edison, or Tiger Woods. It is also a world without Olympic Gold Medal winners and astronauts!

I do not possess the ability to wait. I know, it sounds childish but I do not care. This is me. It is who I am. I know I need to work on this as it is not a trait that will get me far in this world.

I see it all in my mind. What i want to do and how I want to do it. I am the grasshopper sitting out there wanting it right at this very moment. When I am running I hear that voice within me, trying to push me along and I also feel my body rebelling. It is maddening. When mind and body are not in sync.

I did have a good run on Sunday.
My stats:
Activity Type: Running
Event Type: Uncategorized
Time: 00:30:54
Distance: 3.11 mi
Elevation Gain: 229 ft
Calories: 295 C

And my splits:
1 00:09:52
2 00:09:55
3 00:10:01
4 00:01:05

June 28th I am running a 5K and I am hoping to sub 30 in that race! I truly believe I can do that. If I go into the race thinking I can't, I won't. Simple. If I go into the race thinking I can, I will. Simple right?

If you had been born knowing how beautiful, deserving, and important you truly are, Michelle, by this time in your life you'd probably be worth billions of dollars, have thousands of friends, and own businesses around the world, but then... you wouldn't be anything like the Michelle Jaobs we know and love today.

And believe me, when I say "we," there are a lot of us.
All in favor...
The Universe
blog comments powered by Disqus