Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Life Is Full Of Little Pricks..













"I don't like chatty. Quiet and mean; those are my people." - Jackie Peyton (Edie Falco)

I have been eagerly awaiting Showtime's new series Nurse Jackie starring one of my favorite actors - Edie Falco. It debuted last night and I was not disappointed.

Nurse Jackie is a headstrong ER nurse who is juggling two lovers - her husband and the hospital pharmacist - who supplies her with what she needs. Namely, Vicodin and Percocet with an occasional Oxy thrown in for good measure.

I LOVED her INSTANTLY! Edie Falco has brought to life a character I can really enjoy. The supporting cast is not full of stereo-typicals, and they compliment the show. I am so looking forward to next weeks' episode! I have heard a lot of comparisons of Nurse Jackie to Dr Gregory House. I doubt any of these critics watched the show. Being injured & dependent on Pain Meds is where the likeness ends. Dr. House is a louse. Nurse Jackie CARES. She has HEART.

If the show were real, I would trust Nurse Jackie with my life...



Jackie is a conflicted, caring, talented, knowledgable, giving, but admittedly less-than-perfect nurse. I love the line "Make me good god, but not yet".

At this point in her career, Edie Falco could play a character who doesn't speak or move and I would still tune in. She's that great.

Falco is fearless and conflicted as an emergency room nurse in New York City. She's a mother of two girls, with a laid-back, loving husband. Jackie is working class and tough. She's got a bad back that could land her in the unemployment line, so she offsets the pain with daily doses of painkillers, which she gets from Eddie (Paul Schulze), the hospital pharmacist with whom she's having an affair. Interesting bit of casting - Paul Schulze played Father Phil Intintola on The Sopranos.

Ultimately, "Nurse Jackie" is a character study of a woman who wants a little more of something in life. Hmm, sounds familiar?

Some Jackie Peyton quotes:
Percoset should never be crushed and chewed, unless you want it to hit your system like a bolt of lightening. Which is only a problem if you're afraid of lightening.

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table (The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock) - T S Elliot

Don't ever say "ta-da." The only people that say "ta-da" are magicians or idiots.

So, with that Ta-Da!

SHUT,IT.DOWN.MICHELLE
blog comments powered by Disqus