Friday, April 25, 2008

Intestines in hand....OR the return of prime time TV!


I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx








I sat down to watch Grey's Anatomy last night and i must say i was very disappointed. I feel as if the writer's just threw together a story just so they could get the show back on the air. I admit, i used to love this show! Now i find it insipid and dull.

So, here's what i think. I am happy there was a writer's strike. Why? Because i no longer "need" to watch TV. I lost my interest in the shows that i once loved. They bore me to death.

I would much rather settle in with a good book, discover a new raw recipe, spend quality time with friends or family, or just be by myself to ponder things. Oh and of course listen to music. Thats a no brainer.

I did view some excellent quality television recently on HBO! In Treatment and the John Adams mini series. I did not miss an episode of either of these 2 treats. John Adams especially. Seeing the history of the United States was very intense. The scene where George Washington was sworn in as our first president brought tears to my eyes. It really did.

I did not know this bit of history, Charles Adams, the 2nd son of John and Abigal died of alcoholism at 30 years of age and their daugher Abigail Adams died of breast cancer at the age of 48. Interesting huh? You should have seen the scene where they were removing her breast surgically. It was very intense and quite disturbing.

I no longer watch reality TV except for Top Chef. I find Top Chef fun and interesting. No more American Idol, Dancing with the stars or Hell's Kitchen. I'd rather blog. I'd rather read blogs.

I just think there is so much more to life than sitting by a screen watching people do things that just aren't real. I want real in my life.

So, to explain the "intestines in hand".....

Now onto the patients. We've got a trio of bear attack survivors, one who has his intestines in his hands. His brother survived relatively unscathed, and then that guy's wife had part of her scalp ripped off. She didn't seem to mind though, she referred to it as a scratch. Alex and Christina get stuck on stitching duty for intestines guy while Meredith helps the other two. Turns out they are newlyweds, and the husband refers to her as his rebound girl. He also touched the bear cub even though he knew he shouldn't. Red flags go off in Meredith's head who excitedly jumps up and yells, "Tumor!" Professional Mer, very professional.

Ha, i laughed when i saw the guy's wife with her scalp ripped off. If they were going for serious they missed the mark big time. I do not think i will watch anymore.

I ran 5 miles today. I really pushed hard. I felt almost as if i was in another dimension. I kept looking at my watch praying it would soon be over. Now don't get me wrong, i love to run but when i struggle it makes me frustrated. But, i did it. So thats a good thing. I sort of felt spacey right after and could hardly walk home. Water was the only thing on my mind.



So, its all coming together. Just need to overcome my health issue's and i'm ready to go. I need good vibes to come my way. I need to fight and be strong.

I need to turn off the TV and do some writing. Because i say that writing is sexy! Reading is sexy! But, TV...not so much!
blog comments powered by Disqus