Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Random acts of kindness....Cool right?

"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi



From Wikpedia:

A random act of kindness is a purportedly selfless act performed by a person or persons wishing to either assist or cheer up an individual or in some cases even an animal. There will generally be no reason other than to make people smile, or be happier. Either spontaneous or planned in advance, random acts of kindness are encouraged by various communities. An oft-cited example of a random act of kindness is, when paying the toll at a toll booth on a highway, to pay the toll for the vehicle behind you as well.

To me, this is the ultimate way to live my life! I do not seek, want or care about receiving anything! I do, however want and care about being kind, loving, and to posess a soul that i can be proud of. I have a kind soul. KS to be short!


I believe in going out of my way to brighten someone else’s day. It’s something I live by and I love it. I think that no one is exempt from kind acts no matter how unkind, uncaring they are. Maybe, it will make someone stop and think for a moment. If only for a moment, i have done my job.

There's so much kindness that can be done that is not hard on the wallet or mind!

1. Compliment three people everyday.


2. Be the first to say hello.


3. Treat everyone like you would want to be treated.

4. Never give up on anybody; miracles happen.

5. Never deprive someone of hope; it may be all they have.

6. Pray not for things, but for wisdom and courage.

7. Be tough-minded, but tenderhearted.

8. Be kinder than necessary.

9. Keep your promises.

10. Learn to show cheerfulness, even when you don't feel like it.


11. Never waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them



Today, a woman in a parking lot literally called me an asshole. Why? Because i innocently asked her if she was pulling out of her spot, then i asked the gentlemen parked next to her, she thought i was asking her again, hence the "hey asshole" remark! I really thought for a moment i heard wrong, but nope it was quite clear. This woman clearly has not found a place in her life where she can be peaceful.

I am not a fighter. I have never even had a real fist fight in my entire life (except with my sister, play fighting) and i fear if i was ever in that kind of situation, i would be badly hurt. So, i avoid this at all costs. Why fight? The concept of fighting, to me is very foreign. I do not know how to fight physically, but more importantly with words because the only words i know are kind words. If i sense tension i try to use humor or reasoning to make it go away! I don't know, maybe i am good at avoiding certain situations that make me uncomfortable.


Sometimes, kindness or giving does not need to be in a form of monetary terms.....
It can be just a simple smile, a gentle word or a helping hand... and that already can make a lot of difference in another person's life......
To some people....this can a gentle nudge to put them back onto their feet...

Yet, I wonder how many of us can cultivate that thought?? Sharing is nice. Holding the door for an elderly person is nice. Even nicer, giving up your seat on the bus for an elderly or disabled person. I try to help any way i can. But...

I am far from perfect and i did react in a bad way to the woman who called me an asshole! I did, i admit it. I reacted before thinking that maybe this woman needed my help. She seemed a bit frazzled, maybe she was just having a bad day? It's hard to sort of put that spin on it, but you never know if you could just talk to someone and make them realize that calling someone an asshole is just not cool.

So, now you know my take on the wonder that is "random acts of kindness". This concept resonates with me so much. I would also like to thank Melissa over at raw toddler alex for the inspiration to write this post! There is nothing better than seeing the smile on another person's face and knowing that you put it there!



I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
- Helen Keller


blog comments powered by Disqus