Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sarcasm Is Beautiful.......


Snow Patrol - Lifeboats
Hold on, hold on, let me get the words out before I burst.
there´s no truth at all, poking at the giant eyes of ancient gods
Cool heads have failed; now it´s time for me to have my turn.
Kiss me, kiss me, life is far too short to scream and shout.

Flashed up in my wildest dreams, like red blood streams,
Stretching up like vast skies.
The veins of you, the veins of me, like gold forest trees,

Pushing through and on and in.
Gliding like a satellite in the broken night,
And when I wake you´re there I´m saved.
Your love is life piled
Tight and high set against the sky,
That seems to balance on it´s own.

Sing out, sing out, the silence only eats us from the inside out.
I meant no harm but I only get to say these words too late
Wake up, wake up, dreaming only leads to more and more nightmares.
Snap out of it; you said it in a way that showed you really cared.

Sunday WORD OF THE DAY:

Facetious
To make an attempt at being funny, while being sarcastic at the same time.
1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish

2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious



I am not quite sure why I picked these words today, I suppose it could be the way I am feeling.



Legendary NYC Vegetable Peeler Salesman Joe Ades, 75 dies.

"... no one believed his answer to the 'So what do you do?' question: 'I sell potato peelers on the street.'"















Joe Ades was a virtual fixture at Union Square Green Market for the last 15 years or so selling potato peelers. The first time I saw him doing his "spiel" I literally was transfixed to my spot and you can be assured I bought one of his swiss made stainless steel potato peelers. The guy was genius. He was always there too.

I would look around at the other people transfixed in their spots and their faces told the story. Wonder and joy etched with a childlike happiness at this man trying to sell and make a living.

Joe died 3 weeks ago of a heart attack and here is what the New York Times said in his obituary:

His was a particular kind of street theater in a city that delights in in-your-face characters who are, and are not, what they seem. For he was the sidewalk pitchman with the Upper East Side apartment. The sidewalk pitchman who was a regular at expensive East Side restaurants, where no one believed his answer to the “So what do you do?” question: “I sell potato peelers on the street.” Mr. Ades (pronounced AH-dess) died on Sunday at 75, said his daughter, Ruth Ades Laurent of Manhattan. She said he never talked about how many peelers he sold in a year, or how many carrots he had sliced up during demonstrations. She said he stashed his inventory in what had been the maid’s room of the apartment.


The man in the thousand-dollar suit sells his $5 potato peelers on New York City street corners six days a week. Ten hours a day.

Joe Ades could talk a starving dog off a meat truck.. Joe says: "Never underestimate a small amount of money gathered by hand for 60 years," he says with a grin.

And here are some comments from New Yorkers:
I saw Mr. Ades in Union Square and Borough Hall. After 4 years of hearing his pitch, I bought one of those peelers.
God protect the person who breaks or loses it. It's my baby. I love it.
R.I.P. Joe Ades. My condolences to the Ades family.


Peeler Man!!!
Oh, man, he'll be missed.
:(


My wife bought five. She cried when I showed her this clip. Me too. I shall use the peeler tonight and think of Joe and his family. What a treasure.

Sad to see this story. I had no idea.
A little more than a month ago I saw him coming up the stairs at the subway stop on 86th and Lex and he seemed to be struggling with his luggage carrier. When I tried to help he refused....
I never thought it would be my last encounter with this legend!

I wish I had gotten one, too. I always loved hearing his voice and to see those carrot pieces flying.

There was this for him Joe Ades Memorial

So, yesterday, I decided to take a subway ride to Manhattan to do a Trader Joe's - Whole Foods run. I exited the subway at Union Square and wandered a bit at the Green Market when I saw a crowd gathering. I walked up and saw a woman with a familiar english accent selling something. WHAT THE FUCK??? She was selling potato peelers. And not only that, but she was giving the exact same spiel as Joe Ades!! I politely asked, "hi, are you related to Joe"? "Yep, she said. I am his daughter.

She told me "some parents leave you money when they die, well my dad left me with peelers and carrots, so here I am". FUCK YEAH!!!

I bought one from her. She was pretty good at it. Not quite as good as Joe but I think she will get the hang of it and become a fixture in her own right. Joe taught his daughter, Ruth, how to hawk children's books on the street, so she could put herself through Columbia University. "What's the key to your dad's success?" she was asked
"Tenacity and patience," Ruth replies.

And Joe said: "I think that's the secret of happiness. Not doing what you like, but liking what you do."




RIP Mr. Peeler Man, you will be missed!!!!

He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.
» Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.
- Oscar Wilde



I have an interview post coming as well as a discussion of the Oscars!!! I am going to be watching from 6pm until it is over!! I predict Slumdog Millionaire as best picture!!!

We'll see!!!
blog comments powered by Disqus